Review: New NY band gives lift to Tomasz Stanko
(AP) - Tomasz Stanko New York Quartet, "Wislawa" (ECM)
Polish trumpeter Tomasz Stanko has long been one of Europe's leading jazz improvisers, known for his original ballads influenced by Miles Davis' 1960s acoustic quintet but with a touch of brooding Slavic melancholy. The 70-year-old trumpeter has recently been spending time in New York playing with a top-flight rhythm section- Cuban-born pianist David Virelles, bassist Thomas Morgan and drummer Gerald Cleaver- who add a vibrant new dimension both as soloists and ensemble players to his music.
This double album was inspired by the poetry of the late Polish Nobel laureate Wislawa Szymborska with whom he performed at a 2009 recital in Krakow. Most of the original compositions reflect Stanko's penchant for slowly unfolding, meditative ballads such as the dirge-like opening and closing title track, with Cleaver contributing delicate brushwork, and "Metafizyka" on which Stanko and Morgan play pathos-filled solos.
But it's the driving up-tempo tunes, "Assassins" and "Faces," where the New York rhythm section really makes its presence felt, pushing Stanko to be more daring as he plays smoldering trumpet lines in a style that is post-bop bordering on free.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Mark May, ESPN College Football Analyst - Tuesday September 2Should UCLA be concerned about their performance against Virginia?
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?