Review: The Strokes tinker on 'Comedown Machine'
(AP) - The Strokes, "Comedown Machine" (RCA)
The Strokes spent the past six years burning through all the leeway earned with once being declared saviors of rock `n' roll. The synth-heavy "Comedown Machine" is hardly a letdown of last-straw proportions. It also wasn't made to woo anyone back.
But maybe what The Strokes want is a clean break. No tour supporting this fifth studio record is on the table. And lyrics like "Decide my past/Define my life" over the New Wave bleeps in "Tap Out" feel freighted with a band sick of being forever graded against their 2001 breakout "Is This It."
That might be a fair grievance. But also in bounds is the fact that "One Way Trigger" is a ringer for A-ha. By the time frontman Julian Casablancas is finally ripping through an angry and satisfying chorus in the rocker "50/50," interest in which way this decent but disjointed album lands has already faded.
Follow Paul J. Weber on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pauljweber.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.