Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 3:54 pm
UA coach Rodriguez: Would like to find multiple QBs team can win with
However, he does not have that luxury going into his second season at the helm of the Wildcats.
"Some coaches believe in naming him early," Rodriguez told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "I think if you know who the guy is and he's clearly better than the rest of them, that's easy.
"Frankly I would rather have at least two guys I feel that we can win with and go into camp with two, maybe even three."
Last season, which was the coach's first in Tucson, the team went into its offseason programs knowing Matt Scott was going to be the quarterback. A fifth-year senior, it was believed the quarterback would be a perfect fit for Rodrigeuz's spread attack, and he was.
Scott passed for 3,620 yards and 27 touchdowns while rushing for another 606 yards and six scores. The Wildcats finished the season with a win in the New Mexico Bowl, which left their victory total at a surprising eight.
But Rodriguez has no such quarterback waiting for an opportunity this year, as only senior B.J. Denker has ever taken a snap for the Wildcats. He completed 25 of his 37 passes last season for 259 yards and three touchdowns, but will face competition from the likes of redshirt freshman Javelle Allen, USC transfer Jesse Scroggins, Louisiana Tech transfer Nick Isham and true freshman Anu Solomon.
"This year," Rodriguez said, "the starter will not be determined this spring."
Rodriguez said it would be nice if some of the quarterbacks separated themselves and showed the team can win with them, but it's going to be a process.
"Our true competition will take place in August and maybe through the first few games of the season," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.