Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 3:54 pm
UA coach Rodriguez: Would like to find multiple QBs team can win with
However, he does not have that luxury going into his second season at the helm of the Wildcats.
"Some coaches believe in naming him early," Rodriguez told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "I think if you know who the guy is and he's clearly better than the rest of them, that's easy.
"Frankly I would rather have at least two guys I feel that we can win with and go into camp with two, maybe even three."
Last season, which was the coach's first in Tucson, the team went into its offseason programs knowing Matt Scott was going to be the quarterback. A fifth-year senior, it was believed the quarterback would be a perfect fit for Rodrigeuz's spread attack, and he was.
Scott passed for 3,620 yards and 27 touchdowns while rushing for another 606 yards and six scores. The Wildcats finished the season with a win in the New Mexico Bowl, which left their victory total at a surprising eight.
But Rodriguez has no such quarterback waiting for an opportunity this year, as only senior B.J. Denker has ever taken a snap for the Wildcats. He completed 25 of his 37 passes last season for 259 yards and three touchdowns, but will face competition from the likes of redshirt freshman Javelle Allen, USC transfer Jesse Scroggins, Louisiana Tech transfer Nick Isham and true freshman Anu Solomon.
"This year," Rodriguez said, "the starter will not be determined this spring."
Rodriguez said it would be nice if some of the quarterbacks separated themselves and showed the team can win with them, but it's going to be a process.
"Our true competition will take place in August and maybe through the first few games of the season," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Wildcats' Carey wins Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year
- The Pulse: Fans expecting an ASU win over Arizona
- The Pulse: Taylor Kelly will be the most important player in the 2013 Territorial Cup
- Three ways Arizona beats ASU, three ways the Wildcats lose to the Sun Devils
- A Wildcat remembers his favorite memories of the Territorial Cup
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.