Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 3:54 pm
UA coach Rodriguez: Would like to find multiple QBs team can win with
However, he does not have that luxury going into his second season at the helm of the Wildcats.
"Some coaches believe in naming him early," Rodriguez told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "I think if you know who the guy is and he's clearly better than the rest of them, that's easy.
"Frankly I would rather have at least two guys I feel that we can win with and go into camp with two, maybe even three."
Last season, which was the coach's first in Tucson, the team went into its offseason programs knowing Matt Scott was going to be the quarterback. A fifth-year senior, it was believed the quarterback would be a perfect fit for Rodrigeuz's spread attack, and he was.
Scott passed for 3,620 yards and 27 touchdowns while rushing for another 606 yards and six scores. The Wildcats finished the season with a win in the New Mexico Bowl, which left their victory total at a surprising eight.
But Rodriguez has no such quarterback waiting for an opportunity this year, as only senior B.J. Denker has ever taken a snap for the Wildcats. He completed 25 of his 37 passes last season for 259 yards and three touchdowns, but will face competition from the likes of redshirt freshman Javelle Allen, USC transfer Jesse Scroggins, Louisiana Tech transfer Nick Isham and true freshman Anu Solomon.
"This year," Rodriguez said, "the starter will not be determined this spring."
Rodriguez said it would be nice if some of the quarterbacks separated themselves and showed the team can win with them, but it's going to be a process.
"Our true competition will take place in August and maybe through the first few games of the season," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Mark May, ESPN College Football Analyst - Tuesday September 2Should UCLA be concerned about their performance against Virginia?
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?