Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 5:38 pm
Arizona coach: Ka'Deem Carey working to get back in good graces
Then again, why wouldn't he be?
As a sophomore, Carey rushed for a school record -- and nation-best -- 1,929 yards to go along with 23 touchdowns. A consensus All-American, the running back carried the Wildcats to a surprising 8-win season.
However, his offseason has not been as successful. In early January it was learned Carey was set to face charges stemming from a domestic violence incident, and just weeks later he was kicked out of a UA basketball game.
His future with the team was a bit tenuous.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday, Rodriguez said Carey has worked hard to restore his image and the coach's faith in him.
"Ka'Deem is doing all the things he's supposed to do in order to get back in good graces with the program and to, frankly, try to get people to understand who he is," Rodriguez said. "And I like Ka'Deem. He works hard, but he's made some mistakes and he knows that.
"But I told him the biggest travesty is that people, a lot of people now have a certain perception of him and that's not who he is."
Rodriguez, though, said Carey has no one to blame but himself for how people are viewing him, and has embraced the challenge to make things right.
"He doesn't think the world's out to get him," the coach said. "He's never shown a sense of entitlement, that's what bothered me so much from that one incident (the basketball game), that's not who he is and how he comes to work or nothing like that."
But it's up to Carey to show people he's not the guy they think he is.
"He's got to get that perception off him but he's got to do it himself, through his actions and how he goes about his day-to-day living," Rodriguez said. "We don't think we have anybody in our program that acts with a sense of entitlement because we won't allow it, but there's sometimes with guys' actions, it shows a certain way and they've got to correct it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.