Review: `No Way Back' is suspenseful tale
(AP) - "No Way Back" (William Morrow), by Andrew Gross
"No Way Back" is the latest high-octane thriller from Andrew Gross, the best-selling author of "15 Seconds." One woman's life is destroyed and another hides a secret from her past.
Wendy Gould has a fight with her husband. She waits in a bar for a girlfriend who doesn't show. Wendy flirts with a stranger and soon finds herself in his hotel room. Before things get hot and heavy, she realizes her mistake and runs into the bathroom. When she hears another voice in the room, she peeks out to see a man with a gun. Soon, two men are dead- and she's on the run.
Meanwhile, young nanny Lauritzia Velez has a secret that could prove deadly. She's on a shopping trip at a mall with her charges when a gunman tries to shoot them. A security guard kills the shooter before he can harm them, but Velez realizes she has to flee if she wants the family to survive.
Gross is a master of suspense, and "No Way Back" will put him on the best-seller lists once again. However, one weakness in the story is that both women need men to help them survive. It's too bad neither character comes across as strong enough to do it without help.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.