Updated Apr 12, 2013 - 10:51 am
Arizona Wildcats to play BYU at University of Phoenix Stadium
The game in Glendale will be played in 2016, and it will be followed by a matchup in Tucson in 2018 and Provo, Utah in 2020.
"Our Phoenix-area fan base is an important part of our Arizona Athletics community," Arizona athletics director Greg Byrne said. "We're excited to announce our series with BYU and especially playing the first game at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale in 2016. These three games will provide the coaches, student-athletes and fans of both Arizona and BYU with a great regional match-up. I look forward to working with BYU Athletics Director Tom Holmoe to further promote this series and providing an exciting atmosphere for our fans."
The Wildcats are 12-9-1 all-time against BYU, with the most recent meeting being a 31-21 Arizona win at the Las Vegas Bowl in 2008.
The game in Glendale against BYU will be Arizona's first against a non-ASU team since January 1, 1994, when the Wildcats beat Miami 29-0 in the Fiesta Bowl.
"We're very excited to have a game in Phoenix," Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said. "We have a lot of Arizona fans and supporters in the Valley and this is great for them. I also think this is a great series with BYU, a program with a lot of tradition. I think this match-up will have regional and national interest."
The announcement came via a Google+ Hangout.
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.