Legendary Indian singer Shamshad Begum dies at 94
NEW DELHI (AP) - Legendary Indian singer Shamshad Begum has died. She was 94.
The singer had been unwell for some time, her daughter Usha Ratra told the Press Trust of India news agency Wednesday. She died late Tuesday in Mumbai. No independent confirmation was immediately possible.
Begum's funeral, held early Wednesday, was attended by close family members and a few friends, Ratra told PTI. The singer had lived with her daughter and son-in-law since her husband's death in the 1950s.
Begum began her singing career on radio in 1947, and her clear and pure voice touched the hearts of many listeners. She became one of the Indian movie industry's first playback singers, with several well-known actresses of her time lip-syncing to her songs. The industry's best-known music directors vied to get her to sing for them.
Begum was reclusive and self-conscious about her looks and refused to pose for photographs. Many of her fans saw only what she looked like in the 1970s.
Her songs from the 1950s to the early 1970s are still popular and continue to be remixed by music directors today.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.