Legendary Indian singer Shamshad Begum dies at 94
NEW DELHI (AP) - Legendary Indian singer Shamshad Begum has died. She was 94.
The singer had been unwell for some time, her daughter Usha Ratra told the Press Trust of India news agency Wednesday. She died late Tuesday in Mumbai. No independent confirmation was immediately possible.
Begum's funeral, held early Wednesday, was attended by close family members and a few friends, Ratra told PTI. The singer had lived with her daughter and son-in-law since her husband's death in the 1950s.
Begum began her singing career on radio in 1947, and her clear and pure voice touched the hearts of many listeners. She became one of the Indian movie industry's first playback singers, with several well-known actresses of her time lip-syncing to her songs. The industry's best-known music directors vied to get her to sing for them.
Begum was reclusive and self-conscious about her looks and refused to pose for photographs. Many of her fans saw only what she looked like in the 1970s.
Her songs from the 1950s to the early 1970s are still popular and continue to be remixed by music directors today.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.