Review: Monheit sings from the heart on new album
(AP) - Jane Monheit, "The Heart of the Matter" (Emarcy/Decca)
Jane Monheit sometimes seemed detached from the material on her earlier albums as she overemphasized her jazz chops to try to live up to the hype surrounding her.
On her 11th release, "The Heart of the Matter," a more mature Monheit harnesses her impressive vocal technique to emphasize the lyrical content and deliver heartfelt interpretations of songs such as a Beatles' medley "Golden Slumbers/Long and Winding Road" and Randy Newman's "When She Loved Me."
Monheit is now comfortable with her own genre-crossing musical persona that enables her to swing and scat like a jazz singer or belt out a song like a Broadway star. She feels liberated enough to choose an eclectic mix of songs, including the jazz ballad "I Get Along Without You Very Well," two songs by Brazilian Ivan Lins sung in the original Portuguese, and her own song "Night Night Stars," a gentle lullaby for her son.
The album is enhanced by Gil Goldstein's distinctive arrangements. Buffy Sainte-Marie's `60s love song "Until It's Time For You To Go" sounds like a French cabaret song as Monheit stretches out the notes, and the Sesame Street song "Sing" gets a bossa nova treatment.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.