Review: Monheit sings from the heart on new album
(AP) - Jane Monheit, "The Heart of the Matter" (Emarcy/Decca)
Jane Monheit sometimes seemed detached from the material on her earlier albums as she overemphasized her jazz chops to try to live up to the hype surrounding her.
On her 11th release, "The Heart of the Matter," a more mature Monheit harnesses her impressive vocal technique to emphasize the lyrical content and deliver heartfelt interpretations of songs such as a Beatles' medley "Golden Slumbers/Long and Winding Road" and Randy Newman's "When She Loved Me."
Monheit is now comfortable with her own genre-crossing musical persona that enables her to swing and scat like a jazz singer or belt out a song like a Broadway star. She feels liberated enough to choose an eclectic mix of songs, including the jazz ballad "I Get Along Without You Very Well," two songs by Brazilian Ivan Lins sung in the original Portuguese, and her own song "Night Night Stars," a gentle lullaby for her son.
The album is enhanced by Gil Goldstein's distinctive arrangements. Buffy Sainte-Marie's `60s love song "Until It's Time For You To Go" sounds like a French cabaret song as Monheit stretches out the notes, and the Sesame Street song "Sing" gets a bossa nova treatment.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.