Updated Apr 25, 2013 - 4:44 pm
Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey ranked first among Pac-12 running backs
Kind of comes with the territory of being a consensus First-Team All-American after a sophomore season in which he rushed for 1,929 yards and 23 touchdowns for a team that won eight games.
Of course, now there are expectations as the back heads into his junior season.
The star tailback from Tucson (Ariz.) Canyon del Oro might have been the most underrated player in the nation in 2012. Yet, after leading the nation in rushing (1,929 yards), setting multiple school and Pac-12 records and a few ugly off-the-field incidents, the junior-to-be is flying anything but under the radar in 2013. He is a workhorse back who can do anything he wants on the field and needs to learn that doesn't apply to his personal life. A domestic abuse incident with his girlfriend as well as a run-in with campus police has his long-term future in question at Arizona. Should he walk the straight and narrow, Carey will be a Heisman candidate in Rich Rodriguez's zone-read option scheme. If he cannot behave himself, he will find himself suspended or worse.
Sounds about right.
Carey will once again be the focal point of Rodriguez's offense in Arizona, and with uncertainty at the quarterback position could find himself carrying even more of the load.
As for the off-the-field stuff, the player is scheduled to appear in court on July 12.
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.