Colorado music promoter Barry Fey dies at 73
DENVER (AP) - Music promoter Barry Fey, who brought some of the biggest names in the business to Colorado, including the Doors, the Rolling Stones and U2, has died. He was 73.
The Arapahoe County coroner's office says he died Sunday at his Cherry Hills Village home. An autopsy was planned Monday to determine the cause of death.
Among the tens of thousands of shows he promoted during his 30-plus year career was U2's legendary performance at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in 1983, captured in the "Under a Blood Red Sky" video. It increased the outdoor venue's popularity, and Fey was eventually able to get Bruce Springsteen to play there.
The Denver Post ( http://bit.ly/152EOih) reported Fey was recovering from hip replacement surgery at the time of his death.
The newspaper said he also promoted shows by Led Zeppelin, the Grateful Dead, The Who, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin and was friends with many of the artists he worked with.
Pete Townshend and Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne wrote forwards for Fey's 2011 memoir "Backstage Past."
Ozzy Osbourne said Fey was the first to believe in and book Black Sabbath in 1971.
"When he was into it, there was nobody close to him as a promoter," said longtime colleague and friend Chuck Morris, of AEG Rocky Mountains.
Fey was raised in New Jersey and moved to Chicago when he was 11. The first show he booked was Baby Huey and the Babysitters in 1965 Illinois. He remained in Colorado after booking the Association for a fraternity party at the University of Denver.
Fey survived by four sons, Tyler, Jeremy, Geoffry and Alan.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.