New Dallas Opera music director named
DALLAS (AP) - The Dallas Opera says the French-born conductor Emmanuel Villaume (vee-YOHM') has been appointed its new music director.
The announcement was made Tuesday. Villaume is only the third person named to the position in the company's 56-year history.
Villaume's career has included engagements with New York's Metropolitan Opera, the Royal Opera House in London's Covent Garden and Washington's National Opera.
After opening the Dallas Opera's 2013-2014 season by conducting "Carmen," he'll return to the Royal Opera House for performances.
Villaume also will maintain a schedule of symphonic performances, including concerts with the Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra and the Slovenian Philharmonic.
Dallas Opera General Director Keith Cerny says he believes Villaume "will prove an excellent ambassador for the company while attending to his many national and international conducting engagements."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.