Updated May 6, 2013 - 1:37 pm
Arizona coach Rodriguez says Jesse Scroggins is in QB mix
As it pertains to the Arizona Wildcats, they have as many as five heading into the summer, with no fewer than four having a legitimate shot at earning the starting job.
Senior B.J. Denker would appear to have an early edge, but USC transfer Jesse Scroggins could find his way onto the field with a productive summer and fall. Sophomore Javelle Allen and freshman Anu Solomon also could cigure into the mix.
But it's Scroggins, with the cannon arm and major program experience, who might be the most intriguing.
"He has a chance (to play)," Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez said during Pac-12 coaches conference call Monday.
Scroggins, who attended El Camino Junior College last season, underwent foot surgery in the offseason and just started to get back on the field in time for the spring game. He completed six of 17 passes for 44 yards with two touchdowns and one interception on the afternoon.
"Jesse's come in with a real good attitude," Rodriguez added. "I think he knew this was kind of his last chance, he had bounced around a little bit.
"I think he's matured, understands that this is an opportunity for him to prove himself all over again, and I've been really pleased with the way he's jumped in and tried to learn the system and been a good teammate and competed for the job."
The coach said the summer will be important for Scroggins, as he'll need to continue to learn the offense as the team gets ready for the regular season.
"When August gets here he's going to be right in the mix," he said. "We'll see how quickly he can pick it up."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.