Review: Talib Kweli delivers on 5th solo album
(AP) - Talib Kweli, "Prisoner of Conscious" (Javotti Media/Caroline Distribution)
Throughout his career, whether in his early collaborative work with fellow Brooklynite Mos Def in Black Star or with the Cincinnati producer-rapper Hi-Tek, Talib Kweli consistently combined his conscious approach to writing with a verbal dexterity marked by a dazzling rapid-fire delivery.
His fifth solo album, "Prisoner of Conscious," is being billed as a departure of sorts because of the inclusion of tracks like "High Life," a collaboration with the Sierra Leone artist Bajah and rapper Rubix Cube that celebrates the music style of one of Kweli's heroes, the late Nigerian singer-activist Fela Kuti. Another genre detour is a track featuring the Brazilian singer Seu Jorge, an ode to the slums of that country's cities called "Favela Love."
And there is a litany of other featured artists sprinkled throughout the record's 16 tracks, including Miguel, Kendrick Lamar, Busta Rhymes and Melanie Fiona.
But it is Kweli's expert lyrical flow with its torrent of pop-culture and historical references that shower the listener nearly every time he grabs the mic that underpin this fine record.
Follow James H. Collins on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/JimCollinsAP
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.