Review: Talib Kweli delivers on 5th solo album
(AP) - Talib Kweli, "Prisoner of Conscious" (Javotti Media/Caroline Distribution)
Throughout his career, whether in his early collaborative work with fellow Brooklynite Mos Def in Black Star or with the Cincinnati producer-rapper Hi-Tek, Talib Kweli consistently combined his conscious approach to writing with a verbal dexterity marked by a dazzling rapid-fire delivery.
His fifth solo album, "Prisoner of Conscious," is being billed as a departure of sorts because of the inclusion of tracks like "High Life," a collaboration with the Sierra Leone artist Bajah and rapper Rubix Cube that celebrates the music style of one of Kweli's heroes, the late Nigerian singer-activist Fela Kuti. Another genre detour is a track featuring the Brazilian singer Seu Jorge, an ode to the slums of that country's cities called "Favela Love."
And there is a litany of other featured artists sprinkled throughout the record's 16 tracks, including Miguel, Kendrick Lamar, Busta Rhymes and Melanie Fiona.
But it is Kweli's expert lyrical flow with its torrent of pop-culture and historical references that shower the listener nearly every time he grabs the mic that underpin this fine record.
Follow James H. Collins on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/JimCollinsAP
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.