Updated May 10, 2013 - 5:19 pm
Korean pop sensation cracks jokes at Harvard
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - South Korean rapper PSY was welcomed to Harvard University on Thursday night by hundreds of screaming and shouting students and fans, as the "Gangnam Style" star participated in a conversation inside an ornate church dedicated to the memory of those who lost their lives in World War I.
PSY began addressing students and faculty by noting that his presence at the Ivy League school "is so weird."
He recalled spending four years studying management at Boston University while marveling at Harvard from afar. He joked about his academic performance while at school in Boston, saying he was known by a nickname of WWF- which, he said, stands for withdrawal, withdrawal, failure.
The pop star, whose real name is Park Jae-sang, also joked that he's heard that he is the first person to make a speech at Harvard without a written script.
Harvard professor of Korean History Carter Eckert said the discussion was looking at PSY as a modern global digital culture phenomenon.
PSY cracked jokes throughout this speech and said he was very shocked as his "Gangnam Style" video went viral. He said he was overwhelmed by its success and doesn't realistically expect to replicate the feat.
"Gangnam Style" was YouTube's most-viewed video with more than 1.5 billion views, and his new single, "Gentleman" has more than 300 million views.
"Gangnam style was not normal. Gangnam was not standard ... that was an accident and accidents don't happen often," he said.
"I gotta be humble, I gotta be humble, I know I gotta be humble because this does not happen to everybody- especially for Asian artists. They tried a lot knocking the door to the U.S. market, but it didn't happen," PSY said.
"I dreamed about it, but I didn't dream that was me because, as you see, I have a very special body shape," he said as his apparent reference to his stocky figure drew laughter from students and faculty.
PSY said he's tried to figure out why he was able to break into coveted global markets after other Asian artists failed to gain traction.
"There should be a specific reason why people chose me," PSY said. "They didn't choose me because I'm handsome, they didn't choose me because I'm muscular ... the reason why they chose me (is) because I have fun with the music, with the dance, with the video."
PSY wondered aloud why American TV news shows start so early, joking that he has had a brutal experiences waking up early for rehearsal for appearances on morning news shows.
He also recalled joining Madonna for rehearsal, saying he was surprised when she told him that he can touch her body anywhere while they were on stage.
"I was, like- without hesitating- I was asking her `Really!'" PSY said, provoking prolonged laughter from the audience.
"I cannot say I've been the best, but I can say I've done my best for 13 years" as a musician, he said.
Rodrique Ngowi can be reached at http://www.twitter.cm/ngowi
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Mark May, ESPN College Football Analyst - Tuesday September 2Should UCLA be concerned about their performance against Virginia?
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?