US high school choir will back Rolling Stones
LAS VEGAS (AP) - You can't always get what you want. Unless, perhaps, you're a member of the Green Valley High School choir and you want a chance to sing onstage with the Rolling Stones.
The Henderson school's choir will join the Stones at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night for the encore performance of their hit song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want."
Choir director Kim Ritzer said she thought it was a joke when she first got a message on Facebook from someone she didn't know inviting them to sing backup for the famous rockers. She later learned a friend who teaches music at the University of Southern California had recommended them.
"When I announced it to the kids, I think their parents were more excited than they were because some of them didn't even know who the Rolling Stones were," Ritzer told KLAS-TV ( http://tinyurl.com/c7w3en4).
They sealed the deal with an audition via Skype for a representative of the band in London.
"I called my dad. He was screaming at me over the phone and said, `Are you kidding me?'" said Kyle Sorenson, a freshman in the Green Valley High choir.
The 24 singers had only had two weeks to learn the song they'll perform with Mick Jagger and company Saturday night. The singers have to be at the arena by 1:30 p.m. for the 8 p.m. show, but nobody is complaining.
"I'm going around going, `Hey, so who's performing with the Rolling Stones on Saturday?'" senior Alex Miller bragged.
"It's cool, like, a lot of my friends that are into the Rolling Stones are, like, `Can you get me tickets?' And I'm like, `No. sorry. It's an exclusive thing.'"
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.