Diamond, Manilow celebrate 'Capitol Fourth' in DC
WASHINGTON (AP) - Thousands of Americans flocked to the National Mall to celebrate the Fourth of July with a fireworks display, performances by Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow and selections from the "Lincoln" score played by the National Symphony Orchestra.
Diamond sang "Sweet Caroline" in tribute to victims and survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing, while composer John Williams conducted portions of his "Lincoln" score following a video introduction from the movie's director, Steven Spielberg.
Manilow closed out the annual "Capitol Fourth" concert Thursday night with "Let Freedom Ring" before the crowd streamed away from the Capitol's west lawn to see the fireworks at the other end of the Mall. Covered in scaffolding for repairs following an earthquake nearly two years ago, the Washington Monument provided the backdrop for the 17-minute display.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- 2014 UA Hall of Fame inductee Dick Tomey: Rich Rodriguez 'the right man at the right time' for Wildcats
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.