Elton John at iTunes fest: 'Magical to be alive'
LONDON (AP) - Sir Elton John showed the iTunes generation just how it's done.
Sporting a sequin-encrusted tailcoat, the five-time Grammy award winner gave a slick, flamboyant performance Thursday night at the iTunes Festival in London, mixing new material with longtime crowd pleasers including "Rocket Man," "I'm Still Standing" and "Tiny Dancer."
Following a recent health scare with appendicitis, the 66-year-old musician told the crowd "this is a magical time to be alive."
He says "I love music now more than I ever did."
He also gave a shout out to singer Harry Styles in the audience, saying "I love One Direction!"- before closing with "Your Song," a tribute to his partner David Furnish.
John's new album, "The Diving Board," is being released Sept. 24.
The iTunes Festival continues until Sept. 30.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.