Buddy Guy pushing for blues on popular radio
ATLANTA (AP) - Buddy Guy knows that blues music isn't the taste of today's youth, but the Chicago guitar legend wants to show directors at radio stations and aspiring musicians that the classic sound is still alive with his new album, "Rhythm & Blues."
"I'm not saying play the blues every day like everything else," said Guy, who released the album Tuesday, the same day he turned 77. "Just play the blues two or three times a week and I'll be happy with that.
Guy is looking to make a hit by infusing his down-home country blues sound with top acts from the rock and country music realm. The double album includes guest appearances from Kid Rock, Keith Urban, Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Beth Hart and Gary Clark Jr.
Guy, who toured with the Rolling Stones during the 1960s, said there are a few fresh acts keeping the blues sound alive with Clark Jr. and 14-year-old guitarist Quinn Sullivan. He said they may be the key to "wake up" the genre.
"In the late `50s and `60s, people in America were ignoring guys like B.B. King and T-Bone Walker," Guy said. "But when the British guys started playing the blues, people thought it was something new, but that gave the blues a lift. I'm hoping that same thing will happen with the new youngsters."
Follow Jonathan Landrum Jr. on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MrLandrum31
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.