Argentine rocker Charly Garcia goes orchestral
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) - One of Latin America's most influential rock stars is preparing to make good on his dream of playing guitar with a full orchestra in the majestic Teatro Colon opera house in Buenos Aires.
Charly Garcia says the work planned for Sept. 23 and Sept. 30 isn't a rock opera: It's more like something from the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's period. In an Associated Press interview, the 61-year-old musician calls it "a humanistic work that erases the limits between spectator and composer."
Mayor Mauricio Macri's approval for the concert was a vote of confidence for the talented artist with a troubled past. No-shows and drug habits left him in a psychiatric hospital five years ago. Garcia says he also got Yoko Ono's blessing for his latest adventure.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.