From Chicago, Illinois, the group Survivor had been rolling along under the radar until actor Sylvester Stallone commissioned them to write and record a song for his upcoming movie, "Rocky III."
That song, "Eye of the Tiger" would hit No. 1 and start an assembly line of hits for the band in the '80s, but not without a hiccup: Lead singer Dave Bickler, who sang "Eye of the Tiger" suffered voice problems and was forced to leave the band.
Survivor then hired Jimi Jamison from the band Cobra to take the lead vocals. It was a good hire as Jamison provided the lead for five more Top 20 hits for the band, including another No. 1 with "I Can't Hold Back."
Jimi Jamison turns 62 today.
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener