Why twerking is already over: A countdown
NEW YORK (AP) - The day after the MTV Video Music Awards came with a few more people Googling the phrase: "What is twerking?"
It's been a popular search all summer, ever since Miley Cyrus, America's former teen sweetheart, decided her pathway to chart-topping success involved doing freaky things with stuffed animals and gyrating her booty at high speeds. Newly anointed as an expert, Cyrus has been twerking her way up the charts with the song "We Can't Stop," the catchy groove that has been in Billboard's top 10 for most of the summer.
For those who are still unclear, twerking is a dance, it's all about the movement of the rump- and it's been around longer than Miley's been alive. It's been called different things at different times, but anyone who saw the video "Rump Shaker," has been to a strip club or has seen the majority of hip-hop videos over the years probably has a good idea of what twerking is.
Cyrus' appropriation of the dance for her ratchet makeover (go ahead and Google that) has put a new spotlight on the move, and made it the dance du jour. But before you start taking twerking lessons from your local YMCA or the Internet, you might want to find a better way to invest your time. All signs are pointing to the fact that twerking, while not on its way out, may have already reached its peak:
_A former Disney star has become the poster child for twerking.
_Your Zumba teacher says, "OK ladies- now it's time to twerk!"
_There are twerk dance teams.
_Twerking instructional videos on YouTube have millions of views.
_There are videos of pets twerking with thousands of views.
_Selena Gomez says she taught Ethan Hawke how to do it.
_There's a Wikipedia entry on twerking.
_Rapper Juicy J briefly offered a twerking college scholarship.
_The Associated Press is doing a story on twerking.
Follow Nekesa Mumbi Moody on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/nekesamumbi
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.