Music Review: Franz Ferdinand make loud comeback
(AP) - Franz Ferdinand, "Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action," (Domino)
It's been four years since Franz Ferdinand's last album "Tonight: Franz Ferdinand," and in that time the band nearly managed to split up, but thankfully they did not.
Instead they've recharged their batteries and made a fourth album, "Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action." It's a 10-track experience of clever songwriting, catchy riffs and pure indie punk passion. "Love Illumination" is a standout track with its 1980s flare and unforgettable synth keyboard. "Bullet" shines with crashing guitars and an immense presence that jumps right out at you.
There's no massive shift in Franz Ferdinand's direction that most bands suffer in their "hiatus" period, however, the influence of guest producers is evident. Todd Terje, Roxanne Clifford (Veronica Falls) and Bjorn Yttling (Peter Bjorn and John) all lend a hand, as well as Hot Chip's Alexis Taylor and Joe Goddard, whose contribution to "Right Action" is remarkable, with its opening beat and mesmerizing flow. The pace slows down on the electronic ballad "The Universe Expanded," where Alex Kapranos' soft vocals shine. "Brief Encounters" is another signature Franz offering with vintage keys and heavy percussion.
The closing track, "Goodbye Lovers and Friends," could be mistaken for a final bow out with lyrics like: "When they lie and say this is not the end, you can laugh and say we're still together, but this really is the end." Thankfully it's not- we hope.
Follow Reetu Rupal on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/R2Today
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.