Review: Goodie Mob reunites with CeeLo-led album
(AP) - Goodie Mob, "Age Against the Machine" (Alliance Entertainment)
Goodie Mob reunited for their new album, "Age Against the Machine," but the foursome's offering seems more like the CeeLo Green show.
It is Goodie Mob's first album in 14 years as a complete group (Big Gipp, Khujo and T-Mo released the album, "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show"- a diss to Green- in 2004).
But Green, a six-time Grammy winner, clearly stands out with ease alongside his longtime group mates for much of the 17-track album. While the others have some shining moments, Green's talents shine brighter on this project.
His soulful vocals and lyrics are strong and digestible on songs such as "Nexperience" and "Ghost of Gloria Goodchild." He sings about his first interracial relationship on "Amy," and talks about how his burgeoning star appeal as a solo artist has given him some advantages in life on "Power."
Goodie Mob's messages are thought-provoking and insightful throughout their fifth album. They touch on topics from bullying (the Janelle Monae-assisted "Special Education") to artistry in music ("State of the Art (Radio Killa")) to race ("Kolors"). Production wise, there are some missteps: Some of Goodie Mob's sonically-enriched tracks lack their signature Southern sound, including "I'm Set" and "Come As You Are."
Follow Jonathan Landrum Jr. on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MrLandrum31
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.