Review: Goodie Mob reunites with CeeLo-led album
(AP) - Goodie Mob, "Age Against the Machine" (Alliance Entertainment)
Goodie Mob reunited for their new album, "Age Against the Machine," but the foursome's offering seems more like the CeeLo Green show.
It is Goodie Mob's first album in 14 years as a complete group (Big Gipp, Khujo and T-Mo released the album, "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show"- a diss to Green- in 2004).
But Green, a six-time Grammy winner, clearly stands out with ease alongside his longtime group mates for much of the 17-track album. While the others have some shining moments, Green's talents shine brighter on this project.
His soulful vocals and lyrics are strong and digestible on songs such as "Nexperience" and "Ghost of Gloria Goodchild." He sings about his first interracial relationship on "Amy," and talks about how his burgeoning star appeal as a solo artist has given him some advantages in life on "Power."
Goodie Mob's messages are thought-provoking and insightful throughout their fifth album. They touch on topics from bullying (the Janelle Monae-assisted "Special Education") to artistry in music ("State of the Art (Radio Killa")) to race ("Kolors"). Production wise, there are some missteps: Some of Goodie Mob's sonically-enriched tracks lack their signature Southern sound, including "I'm Set" and "Come As You Are."
Follow Jonathan Landrum Jr. on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MrLandrum31
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.