Clarification: Music Review-The 1975 story
(AP) - In a music review Sept. 5, The Associated Press identified the record label for the new self-titled release from The 1975 as Dirty Hit Records/Polydor Ltd. That was the act's British label, but the album was released in the U.S. by Vagrant Records/Interscope Records.
An updated version of the story is below:
The 1975, "The 1975" (Vagrant/Interscope)
The 1975's self-titled debut is a mixed bag. Jumping from guitar-heavy indie hits to disco funk dance-floor tracks, the boys from Northern England say the varied sound of the album is down to their "lack of identity."
That lack of identity allows a rawness to emerge, both in lyrics and music. However, despite the variation on the album, the indie pop tracks are the ones that work the best.
"Chocolate" is the perfect concoction, opening with an infectious riff, and it almost doesn't matter that the only word in the song you can decipher is "chocolate." "The City" plays off the strength of singer Matty Healy's voice coupled with a pounding drum beat and a repetitive chorus.
The album is co-produced by Mike Crossey, who has worked with The Kooks and Arctic Monkeys, and though The 1975's lyrics don't match the lyrical prowess of Alex Turner, at times they are as playful and sarcastic. In the synth-filled "Girls" they jibe: "I like your face despite your nose, seventeen and a half years old."
In general, however, lyrics are littered with teenage angst. "Sex" covers the obvious themes of teenage lust but paints some literal scenes: "My shirt looks so good, when it's just hanging off your back."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.