Katy Perry previews new album 'Prism' at NYC event
NEW YORK (AP) - Katy Perry says although she's "older and wiser," she still plans to have fun.
Perry debuted 12 songs from her new album, "Prism," to be released Oct. 22, in front of an audience of 100 industry insiders and journalists Thursday night in New York. The beat-driven album features likable, radio-friendly tracks, much like her multi-hit 2010 effort, "Teenage Dream."
The 28-year-old pop star played songs like the `80s-inspired "Birthday," which she called "something like Mariah Carey would have put on her first album." She said "Unconditionally" was her favorite song and she was proud to have written it. "Dark Horse," which features rapper Juicy J, sounds like a Southern rap-techno mashup.
Perry's first single, "Roar," bumped Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" from the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart this week. She debuted the music video for the track Thursday.
"I'm very excited to bring visuals to a lot of the songs and play them live," she said.
"Prism" features producers Dr. Luke, Klas Ahlund, Sia, Bloodshy, Greg Kurstin and others. Some of the new tracks include emotional lyrics. She sings "one man's trash is another man's treasure" on "Double Rainbow," and on "By the Grace of God," she sings "wasn't going to let love take me out that way."
"Prism" will include 13 tracks; its deluxe version will have 16 songs. The singer was excited and playful at the event, and even cracked a few jokes. She said the album was due at her label on Monday, but not all of the tracks were mixed.
"It's the `Prism' preview. I wanted to show you what my prism can do," she said to laughs.
Follow Mesfin Fekadu on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MusicMesfin
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Arizona AD Greg Byrne asks Twitter for feedback on scoreboard
- What the magazines are saying about Arizona Wildcats football
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.