Updated Sep 7, 2013 - 11:27 pm
Cat Tracks: Wildcats rout Rebels
Visitors of the UNLV Rebels Saturday night, Rich Rodriguez's team dazzled, routing the opposition 58-13 behind 16 kicking points from Jake Smith and 397 yards rushing from Ka'Deem Carey, B.J. Denker and company.
The Wildcats got out to a 17-0 lead in the first quarter and the score was 45-6 by the time they entered the locker room at halftime. Denker got a pair of rushing touchdowns in the first 12 minutes of the game, turning a scramble into a 35-yard score for the game's first touchdown. Then, Carey returned to the field for the Wildcats, making his presence known in the second quarter with a 58-yard touchdown run.
Rodriguez laid off the throttle in the second half, when Arizona settled for a field goal in the third quarter and 10 points in the fourth.
The Wildcats improved to 2-0 with the win, after beating Northern Arizona last week and they play another non-conference opponent, University of Texas at San Antonio, next Saturday.
Ka'Deem Carey was sensational in his return to the field, logging 171 yards and two touchdowns rushing, including his explosive 58-yarder.
Although B.J. Denker was once again effective as a rusher, gaining 63 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries for the Wildcats, his passing efforts were lackluster. Denker was 8-for-20 for 81 yards in the air on the night.
Jake Smith set Arizona's school record for points by a kicker Saturday, with 16.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats head back to Tucson to take on the UTSA Roadrunners, who are 1-1 after losing 56-35 to Oklahoma State Saturday.
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- 2014 UA Hall of Fame inductee Dick Tomey: Rich Rodriguez 'the right man at the right time' for Wildcats
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.