Updated Sep 7, 2013 - 11:27 pm
Cat Tracks: Wildcats rout Rebels
Visitors of the UNLV Rebels Saturday night, Rich Rodriguez's team dazzled, routing the opposition 58-13 behind 16 kicking points from Jake Smith and 397 yards rushing from Ka'Deem Carey, B.J. Denker and company.
The Wildcats got out to a 17-0 lead in the first quarter and the score was 45-6 by the time they entered the locker room at halftime. Denker got a pair of rushing touchdowns in the first 12 minutes of the game, turning a scramble into a 35-yard score for the game's first touchdown. Then, Carey returned to the field for the Wildcats, making his presence known in the second quarter with a 58-yard touchdown run.
Rodriguez laid off the throttle in the second half, when Arizona settled for a field goal in the third quarter and 10 points in the fourth.
The Wildcats improved to 2-0 with the win, after beating Northern Arizona last week and they play another non-conference opponent, University of Texas at San Antonio, next Saturday.
Ka'Deem Carey was sensational in his return to the field, logging 171 yards and two touchdowns rushing, including his explosive 58-yarder.
Although B.J. Denker was once again effective as a rusher, gaining 63 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries for the Wildcats, his passing efforts were lackluster. Denker was 8-for-20 for 81 yards in the air on the night.
Jake Smith set Arizona's school record for points by a kicker Saturday, with 16.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats head back to Tucson to take on the UTSA Roadrunners, who are 1-1 after losing 56-35 to Oklahoma State Saturday.
- Wildcats' Carey wins Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year
- The Pulse: Fans expecting an ASU win over Arizona
- The Pulse: Taylor Kelly will be the most important player in the 2013 Territorial Cup
- Three ways Arizona beats ASU, three ways the Wildcats lose to the Sun Devils
- A Wildcat remembers his favorite memories of the Territorial Cup
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.