NCAA: Notre Dame transfer Neal ineligible in 2013
UA head coach Rich Rodriguez announced at his weekly press conference Monday that Neal, who filed for a hardship waiver with the NCAA to play immediately after transferring from Notre Dame, had his appeal denied.
Rodriguez said the UA will apply for a final appeal, but "it doesn't look good" for Neal to be declared eligible for any part of the 2013 season. Neal still has a redshirt year available.
"That's a little disappointing — more than a little disappointing," Rodriguez said. "I could go into great detail, but I don't want to waste y'all's time on what some of my opinions are on some of the NCAA's rulings."
Neal, a 5-foot-10, 176-pound sophomore receiver, applied for a hardship waiver on the basis that he left Notre Dame to be closer to his girlfriend and newborn daughter. The university filed for the appeal at the beginning of August and waited more than a month for a ruling.
Neal recorded just one catch as a freshman, but served as the primary punt returner for a Fighting Irish team that played for the national title.
"The only thing I'll say about some of the things with the NCAA is they're consistent with being inconsistent," Rodriguez said. "Now with this last ruling to come down, I'm not overly optimistic simply because I don't understand some of the inconsistencies of the NCAA.
"We're all frustrated by it and disappointed, but DaVonte' has a great attitude about it and he'll have three years of eligibility left starting next fall."
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.