Toby Keith benefit raises $2M for tornado recovery
NORMAN, Okla. (AP) - A tornado relief concert organized by country performer Toby Keith has raised $2 million that will go to a fund run by the United Way of Central Oklahoma- and there's still more money to be counted.
Organizers told the Norman Transcript newspaper ( http://bit.ly/14FuMDC) that some donations from the July 6 concert at University of Oklahoma's Memorial Stadium are still being calculated. A number of entertainers contributed their time and talent to a relief effort aimed at helping nearby Moore, where 24 people died.
A May 20 tornado cut a 17-mile path of destruction through the Oklahoma City suburb with winds that exceeded 200 mph. Spring storms caused an estimated $1 billion in damage.
The six-hour concert drew about 60,000 people. Performers included Keith, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Willie Nelson, Ronnie Dunn and Mel Tillis.
Introducing artists were Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin, former Oklahoma and Dallas Cowboys football coach Barry Switzer, current OU football head coach Bob Stoops and OU athletic director Joe Castiglione. The event marked the largest number of paid attendees for a concert in the stadium's history.
Information from: The Norman Transcript, http://www.normantranscript.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.