Review: The Weeknd flows nicely on 'Kiss Land'
(AP) - The Weeknd, "Kiss Land" (Republic Records)
The Weeknd, who became a critical darling after releasing a trilogy of mix tapes in 2011 thanks to his eerie R&B sound, sticks to his guns on his official debut album, "Kiss Land."
The 10-track set plays smoothly, and the singer's falsetto weaves into the tracks nicely. "Wanderlust," which samples Fox the Fox's "Precious Little Diamond," is the disc's most adventurous song: The Michael Jackson-esque tune is energetic, beat-driven and could be a monster hit on the pop charts.
Most of "Kiss Land" isn't as up-tempo, but the Canadian singer doesn't disappoint as he stays true to his soulfully eclectic vibe and progressive R&B sound. The Weeknd's mainly singing about relationships, and on the appealing "Belong to the World," he sings, "But you taught me how to feel when nobody ever would." And on "Adaptation"- which samples the Police's "Bring on the Night"_ he sings about regret, "But I chose the life, I chose the life, then I realized she might have been the one, I let it go for a little fun."
While "Kiss Land" is sonically enjoying, some of the tracks sound too similar. Additional collaborators could probably help split up the sound: Drake, who has worked with The Weeknd, adds a ton of flavor to "Live For," a track highlighted by handclaps and lyrics about getting ahead.
Follow Mesfin Fekadu on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MusicMesfin
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.