Updated Sep 15, 2013 - 8:24 am
Cat Tracks: Denker's big night leads to seventh straight non-conference win for UA
The margin of victory was not all that surprising, however, who shined in the blowout was noteworthy to say the least.
Coming into Saturday night's contest, quarterback B.J. Denker was 17-of-34 for 168 yards and a touchdown on the season. Against the Roadrunners, the UA senior nearly duplicated those totals. Denker threw a 13-yard touchdown pass to freshman wideout Samajie Grant and ran for another 35-yard score in the first quarter, and from there the rout was on.
On the night, Denker was 14-of-21 for 158 yards to go along with three total touchdowns.
Ka'Deem Carey rushed for over 100 yards and had two touchdowns in the 25-point victory. Carey now has 22 rushing touchdowns in his last 11 games.
In all, the Wildcats rushed for 264 yards.
Grant's touchdown catch in the first quarter was the first of his collegiate career.
Three of Drew Riggleman's four punts were downed inside the UTSA 20-yard line.
Despite Denker's big game and a dominate night on the ground, UTSA nearly outgained UA (422 yards to 379 yards).
UTSA's David Glasco II only ran the ball 10 times, but he had 70 yards rushing and a touchdown.
With the win, Arizona moved to 7-0 in non-conference play under Rich Rodriguez.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats (3-0) will have a week off before going up to Seattle to open up Pac-12 play against the Washington Huskies (2-0) on Sept. 28. Last season, UA took down Steve Sarkisian's squad 52-17. Game time has yet to be determined.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona accepts invitation to play Boston College in the 2013 AdvoCare V100 Bowl
- Wildcats' Carey wins Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year
- The Pulse: Fans expecting an ASU win over Arizona
- The Pulse: Taylor Kelly will be the most important player in the 2013 Territorial Cup
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.