Former music exec held hostage, stabbed in LA
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A former music industry executive was slashed with a machete while being held hostage for several hours Sunday in Los Angeles by his girlfriend's ex-husband, who slit his own wrists before being taken into custody, authorities said.
The victim, Jerry Sharell, was cut several times on the neck and was rushed to the hospital in critical condition, according to Los Angeles Police Officer Sara Faden. He was listed as stable on Monday, she said.
Sharell worked with the Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Queen and Motley Crue during a career as music executive dating back to the 1970s.
The hostage situation began about 8 a.m. Sunday at Sharell's home in the Woodland Hills area about 20 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles, Faden said.
A neighbor told KCBS-TV that the suspect arrived on a motorcycle and pulled out a machete and a bouquet of flowers before entering the house and taking Sharell and his girlfriend hostage.
"He would ask a question and if he didn't like the answer, he'd cut the boyfriend on the neck," said Sgt. Alex Kim.
After between three and five hours, the woman was able to get away and call police from a neighbor's home.
Arriving officers ordered the suspect to drop the machete. By the time he did, he had slit his own wrists.
"He asked his ex-wife to watch as he killed himself," Sgt. Jeff Nuttall told KCBS.
The suspect, 57-year-old Behnam Vasseghi of Woodland Hills, remained hospitalized Monday in stable condition, Faden said. He was expected in court Tuesday to face attempted murder charges.
The woman also was injured during the struggle to get away and was treated at a hospital and released. She was not identified.
She had a restraining order against her former husband and had only recently started dating Sharell, police said.
Sharell hosts the "Sundays With Sinatra" program on Los Angeles radio station KJazz. He previously managed Asylum Records, worked in talent marketing at the radio network Westwood One, and headed video distribution at MCA, according to his bio on the KJazz website.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.