Arizona coach Rodriguez doesn't expect team to suffer Wisconsin-like fate
He saw the Wisconsin Badgers be on the wrong side of a blown call by the referees, which helped Arizona State escape with a big 32-30 win.
The Pac-12 has since reprimanded the officials who were involved, but that does not change the fact that Wisconsin may have lost a game it should have had a chance to win.
Rodriguez, who has has seen the replays, understands why there was confusion on the game's final play -- especially from the officials -- on whether or not Wisconsin QB Joel Stave actually knelt with the ball, which helped spawn the controversy.
"A lot of people are talking about that, and I can see why," he said. "That's a lesson I bet every coach in America, high school, college, pros, are talking about.
"Be defined when you do that and hand the ball to the official so there is no gray area at all."
That, Rodriguez said, is what he coaches his team to do. Had Stave taken a knee and handed the ball to a ref, the Sun Devils would not have thought he fumbled and therefore would not have jumped on the ball. Wisconsin then would have then been able to spike the football before attempting the game-winning field goal.
"I think everybody centers the ball or has that play where you center the ball," the second-year coach said of the same sequence. "We have a rule anyway, and sometimes we have to get on our guys, whether you're on offense or defense, if you've got the ball in your hands when the play is over...you hand the ball to the official.
"We prefer that they hand it to the umpire so that way the ball gets spotted quicker."
The coach added that's something the team works on in practice, and does not expect it to ever be an issue for the Wildcats.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Wildcats' Carey wins Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year
- The Pulse: Fans expecting an ASU win over Arizona
- The Pulse: Taylor Kelly will be the most important player in the 2013 Territorial Cup
- Three ways Arizona beats ASU, three ways the Wildcats lose to the Sun Devils
- A Wildcat remembers his favorite memories of the Territorial Cup
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.