Bareilles: Happy with success after Perry chatter
NEW YORK (AP) - Sara Bareilles says although she doesn't think Katy Perry's "Roar" steals from her song "Brave," she's enjoying her tune's newfound success because of the chatter.
"I was stoked. I was like, `Great,'" Bareilles said in an interview Tuesday. "I was like, `You guys want to go get (mad) about something and buy my music, that's great.'"
Music fans caused a stir when Perry released "Roar" last month, claiming she stole the song's melody from Bareilles' "Brave," released in April. "Roar" is currently No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and Bareilles' song shot to the Top 40 after the Internet drama. "Brave" has reached gold status and so far has peaked at No. 31.
Bareilles said she and Perry are good friends and that they spoke when the comparisons were made.
"I don't feel like anything was taken from me artistically. I wasn't the one having any problems with it," she said. "I've known Katy a long time. We are friends and she and I spoke about it. I look at it as two female artists who are releasing a message of empowerment."
The 33-year-old singer-songwriter said she's upset with some of the fans, though.
"To be totally honest, I was sort of disappointed in how aggressive fans were being about it," she said. "I don't promote drama in my life and competition and stuff like that."
"Brave" was co-written with fun. guitarist Jack Antonoff. It's the first single from Bareilles' third album, "The Blessed Unrest," released in July.
"I had a good friend who was struggling with coming out as an adult, so this is sort of my message to that person," she said.
The Grammy-nominated performer- best known for the 2007 hit "Love Song"- is currently on a tour with OneRepublic that wraps Friday in Houston. She will launch a solo tour Oct. 6 in Boston.
Bareilles said she's a fan of Perry's music and the two joked about fusing their songs.
"We actually talked about it. We're like, `Should we just work on a mash-up and let everybody know we're not mad at each other?'" she said with a laugh.
Follow Mesfin Fekadu on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MusicMesfin
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.