Uruguay's president meets with Aerosmith
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay (AP) - American rockers Aerosmith are fans of Uruguayan leader Jose Mujica, a colorful former guerrilla known for his simple lifestyle.
But the 78-year-old Mujica can't say the same of Aerosmith, admitting after meeting with band members that he hadn't heard any of their songs.
The rockers met with Mujica in Uruguay's government house Tuesday, a day before Aerosmith's concert in Montevideo that is part of a Latin American tour.
The band gave the president a signed electric guitar. Frontman Steven Tyler said they consider Mujica one of the best presidents in the Americas.
"We believe in what he says," Tyler said. "Your president fights for freedom, and we also fight for freedom through music."
Mujica, a former leftist Tupamaro guerrilla, spent 14 years in prison and endured torture and solitary confinement.
As a politician, Mujica became known for his cantankerous personality, homespun oratory and insistence on keeping his life simple.
He still lives on a small, ramshackle flower farm with his wife.
His speech at the Rio-20 environmental conference last year urging simplicity in a world of conspicuous consumption has been viewed millions of times on YouTube.
After an unusually long, three-hour meeting with the band, Mujica posed for pictures with Aerosmith, smiling and holding his guitar.
He later said he'd raffle off the guitar and give the proceeds to a charity that provides poor families with the materials needed to build homes.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.