Singer Daltrey plays Capitol to honor Churchill
WASHINGTON (AP) - Congress honored Winston Churchill with a bust and a performance by another famous Briton, The Who's Roger Daltrey.
Senate and House leaders, as well as Secretary of State John Kerry, gathered Wednesday to dedicate the Churchill bust, which will now stand in the Capitol as a testament to the strength of the relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom. Daltrey sang, "Stand by Me," and House Speaker John Boehner said the song was a tribute to the U.S.-U.K. relationship.
Daltrey also performed the Who classic "Won't Get Fooled Again." The pair of songs had Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi bobbing their heads in bipartisan unity.
Afterward, Daltrey was swarmed by fans- several members of Congress among them- hoping for a photo with the singer.
Boehner did not show much emotion during the musical performance. But he appeared to tear up as he talked about Churchill, "the best friend the United States ever had."
"He saw in America the very exceptionalism we see today," Boehner said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.