Review: Sky Ferreira turns focus onto her music
(AP) - Sky Ferreira, "Night Time, My Time" (Capitol)
There has been plenty of talk about Sky Ferreira for quite some time now, despite the 21-year-old only having released two EPs over the last three years. That may have to do with the buzz she built following the release of "Everything is Embarrassing," one of 2012's top tracks. Or maybe it is because earlier this year she and her boyfriend were arrested for heroin possession.
However, her debut album should give people something else to focus on. "Night Time, My Time" opens with "Boys," arguably the best track on the record. The lyrics are a bit clumpy and cliché- "Cross my heart and hope to die," she sings- but the song is saved from being bubble gum by the chugging guitar and pounding drums.
"24 Hours" is a perfect pop rock song, complete with lyrics filled with angst yet juxtaposed with twinkling synth. And "Nobody Asked Me" continues with the exposed, tell-all lyrics- "Nobody asked me if I was OK," Ferreira wails.
Ferreira has a grungy rock `n' roll image, but ignore that and listen to her voice. It's pure and clear and her singing seems effortless.
Ignore the headlines and listen to the music.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.