Review: Sky Ferreira turns focus onto her music
(AP) - Sky Ferreira, "Night Time, My Time" (Capitol)
There has been plenty of talk about Sky Ferreira for quite some time now, despite the 21-year-old only having released two EPs over the last three years. That may have to do with the buzz she built following the release of "Everything is Embarrassing," one of 2012's top tracks. Or maybe it is because earlier this year she and her boyfriend were arrested for heroin possession.
However, her debut album should give people something else to focus on. "Night Time, My Time" opens with "Boys," arguably the best track on the record. The lyrics are a bit clumpy and cliché- "Cross my heart and hope to die," she sings- but the song is saved from being bubble gum by the chugging guitar and pounding drums.
"24 Hours" is a perfect pop rock song, complete with lyrics filled with angst yet juxtaposed with twinkling synth. And "Nobody Asked Me" continues with the exposed, tell-all lyrics- "Nobody asked me if I was OK," Ferreira wails.
Ferreira has a grungy rock `n' roll image, but ignore that and listen to her voice. It's pure and clear and her singing seems effortless.
Ignore the headlines and listen to the music.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Arizona AD Greg Byrne asks Twitter for feedback on scoreboard
- What the magazines are saying about Arizona Wildcats football
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.