Cat Tracks: Carey, Denker lead ground attack as UA wins second straight on the road
After 60 minutes of play, that recipe was more than enough, as Rich Rodriguez's squad claimed their second straight road victory by a final of 33-28 .
The victory marked the first time in Rodriguez's tenure that the Wildcats have won consecutive contests away from Tucson.
While Denker impressed with his arm -- 261 yards passing, one touchdown and no interceptions -- in the five-point victory, his career day was highlighted by his mobility.
UA's junior quarterback ran for a career-high three touchdowns on scampers of one, nine and 14 yards respectively.
Although he wasn't able to accompany his quarterback in the end zone, Carey had another dominant day running the football. On 32 carries, Carey ran the ball for 152 yards -- marking the fifth time he's run for at least 130 this season.
With two picks of Cal quarterback Jarod Goff Saturday, including one in the end zone by Jourdon Grandon at the beginning of the fourth quarter, Arizona's defense now has 12 interceptions in 2013 -- matching its total from all of last season.
Cal wide receiver Kenny Lawler came into Saturday's contest with zero touchdown receptions on the season. Yet somehow the freshman managed to torched UA's secondary, finding the end zone on three separate occasions. He finished with six catches for 72 yards on the day.
- Jake Smith's 53-yard field goal in the second quarter was the longest by a UA kicker since Nick Folk back in Nov. 2004.
- Carey's 11th straight 100-yard performance vs. Cal set a new school record Saturday.
- Freshman wideout Nate Phillips' 21-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter was his fourth score of the season. He has a touchdown reception in each of his last four games.
- Senior receiver Terrence Miller's 60-yard grab in the third quarter was the longest pass play completed by Denker in 2013.
The Wildcats head back to Tucson in search of a season-high fourth straight victory when they take on No. 20 UCLA on Nov. 9 at Arizona Stadium. Kick-off is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. MST
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.