George Jones monument unveiled at cemetery
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A large monument honoring the late country singer George Jones has been unveiled at his Nashville gravesite and his widow has announced a college scholarship in his name.
Fans of the singer who died in April at the age of 81 crowded about the cemetery site on Monday to see the memorial unveiled with his wife and other relatives present.
The monument features a large arch with his best known song title, "He Stopped Loving Her Today," inscribed in the stone under his name.
It also features images of Jones and his widow, Nancy Jones, a guitar and his nickname, "The Possum." Two benches are placed on either side of his grave for visiting fans.
"All of his fans are really hardcore country music fans," his widow said. "I think they deserve to come out and see something just a little different. They can sit on the bench and see their idol."
Nancy Jones told reporters that the singer began the design for the monument years ago, but it wasn't complete when he died. She also said that she would be starting a scholarship at Middle Tennessee State University.
Follow Kristin Hall on Twitter at twitter.com/kmhall
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.