Autopsy: Nashville singer shot in back of head
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - An autopsy for a Nashville-based singer-songwriter who was killed by a bar owner shows Wayne Mills was shot in the back of the head.
Bar owner Chris Ferrell has told police he shot Mills in self-defense in the pre-dawn hours of Nov. 23. Ferrell says the two got into an argument over the musician smoking a cigarette in a no-smoking area of Ferrell's Pit and Barrel bar in downtown Nashville.
Mills was brought to Vanderbilt University Medical Center at about 5:30 a.m. and died there about twelve hours later.
According to the autopsy from the Davidson County Medical Examiner's Office, Mills died from the gunshot wound, although he also had two broken ribs plus several bruises and scrapes. The report said there was no evidence the gun was fired at close range.
The Metropolitan Nashville Police Department has said its investigation found the evidence did not support Ferrell's self-defense claim. He is charged with second degree murder and is free on a $150,000 bond.
A call and email to Ferrell's attorney, David Raybin, late Friday afternoon were not immediately returned. Previously, Raybin has said his client is not guilty of any degree of homicide.
A spokeswoman for Mills' family, Beverley Keel, said the family has no comment because the investigation is still ongoing.
According to biographical information in his obituary and memorial service announcement, Mills toured for more than 15 years as lead singer of the Wayne Mills Band. Country music stars Jamey Johnson and Blake Shelton, as well as American Idol winner Taylor Hicks, all opened for the band in their early careers.
Chris Talbott, in Nashville, contributed to this report.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.