Arizona coach Rodriguez does not expect Austin Hill to be ready for ASU game
Many attribute that to a change at quarterback, where B.J. Denker replaced a graduated Matt Scott. While Denker has been serviceable, Scott was one of the Pac-12's best quarterbacks his lone year in head coach Rich Rodriguez's offense.
However, another reason is the lack of a go-to receiver, which has led Arizona to rely on a group of young and unproven wideouts who have flashed some ability but have yet to find any consistency.
Austin Hill, who led Arizona with 81 receptions, 1,264 yards and 11 touchdowns last season, was supposed to be that guy, but a torn ACL in spring camp has left him on the sidelines all season.
The junior did return to practice a couple weeks ago, and was on the field for warmups prior to the team's game against Oregon last Saturday.
So, is Hill close to making a return, possibly even Saturday against rival Arizona State?
"You know, I don't think he's going to play this week even though he's getting closer and closer," Rodriguez told Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "He's doing more each week than he had before."
Rodriguez is careful to point out that there is a difference in a player being cleared to practice and actually getting into a live game situation. The 6-foot-3 junior who was a semifinalist for the Biletnikioff Award last year has a lot to prove before he gets to that point.
"He hasn't gone through any scrimmage, he hasn't gotten hit at all," Rodriguez said. "I don't know if mentally or physically that he's ready to go this weekend.
"So we'll see what happens with the bowl game."
The Wildcats (7-4, 4-4) take on the Sun Devils (9-2, 7-1) Saturday at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m., with the game being aired on the Pac-12 Networks and News-Talk 92.3 KTAR.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.