Arizona coach Rodriguez does not expect Austin Hill to be ready for ASU game
Many attribute that to a change at quarterback, where B.J. Denker replaced a graduated Matt Scott. While Denker has been serviceable, Scott was one of the Pac-12's best quarterbacks his lone year in head coach Rich Rodriguez's offense.
However, another reason is the lack of a go-to receiver, which has led Arizona to rely on a group of young and unproven wideouts who have flashed some ability but have yet to find any consistency.
Austin Hill, who led Arizona with 81 receptions, 1,264 yards and 11 touchdowns last season, was supposed to be that guy, but a torn ACL in spring camp has left him on the sidelines all season.
The junior did return to practice a couple weeks ago, and was on the field for warmups prior to the team's game against Oregon last Saturday.
So, is Hill close to making a return, possibly even Saturday against rival Arizona State?
"You know, I don't think he's going to play this week even though he's getting closer and closer," Rodriguez told Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "He's doing more each week than he had before."
Rodriguez is careful to point out that there is a difference in a player being cleared to practice and actually getting into a live game situation. The 6-foot-3 junior who was a semifinalist for the Biletnikioff Award last year has a lot to prove before he gets to that point.
"He hasn't gone through any scrimmage, he hasn't gotten hit at all," Rodriguez said. "I don't know if mentally or physically that he's ready to go this weekend.
"So we'll see what happens with the bowl game."
The Wildcats (7-4, 4-4) take on the Sun Devils (9-2, 7-1) Saturday at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m., with the game being aired on the Pac-12 Networks and News-Talk 92.3 KTAR.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.