Woman arrested after famous Austin mural defaced
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A woman has been arrested after police saw her defacing a well-known Austin mural painted by Texas singer-songwriter Daniel Johnston.
According to an arrest affidavit, 32-year-old Rebecca Guest was arrested Christmas Eve and charged with a Class A misdemeanor for the act of graffiti. An obscene word was spray-painted several times on the mural, which depicts a frog-like creature saying "Hi, How Are You."
Guest told police that she believed the mural was offensive and meant to personally insult her.
She was out of custody by Wednesday afternoon. An Austin phone number could not be found.
Johnston painted the mural in 1993 on the exterior wall of what was then a record store. The image was printed on a T-shirt, which Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain once wore.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.