Woman arrested after famous Austin mural defaced
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A woman has been arrested after police saw her defacing a well-known Austin mural painted by Texas singer-songwriter Daniel Johnston.
According to an arrest affidavit, 32-year-old Rebecca Guest was arrested Christmas Eve and charged with a Class A misdemeanor for the act of graffiti. An obscene word was spray-painted several times on the mural, which depicts a frog-like creature saying "Hi, How Are You."
Guest told police that she believed the mural was offensive and meant to personally insult her.
She was out of custody by Wednesday afternoon. An Austin phone number could not be found.
Johnston painted the mural in 1993 on the exterior wall of what was then a record store. The image was printed on a T-shirt, which Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain once wore.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.