Woman arrested after famous Austin mural defaced
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A woman has been arrested after police saw her defacing a well-known Austin mural painted by Texas singer-songwriter Daniel Johnston.
According to an arrest affidavit, 32-year-old Rebecca Guest was arrested Christmas Eve and charged with a Class A misdemeanor for the act of graffiti. An obscene word was spray-painted several times on the mural, which depicts a frog-like creature saying "Hi, How Are You."
Guest told police that she believed the mural was offensive and meant to personally insult her.
She was out of custody by Wednesday afternoon. An Austin phone number could not be found.
Johnston painted the mural in 1993 on the exterior wall of what was then a record store. The image was printed on a T-shirt, which Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain once wore.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Mark May, ESPN College Football Analyst - Tuesday September 2Should UCLA be concerned about their performance against Virginia?
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?