Woman arrested after famous Austin mural defaced
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A woman has been arrested after police saw her defacing a well-known Austin mural painted by Texas singer-songwriter Daniel Johnston.
According to an arrest affidavit, 32-year-old Rebecca Guest was arrested Christmas Eve and charged with a Class A misdemeanor for the act of graffiti. An obscene word was spray-painted several times on the mural, which depicts a frog-like creature saying "Hi, How Are You."
Guest told police that she believed the mural was offensive and meant to personally insult her.
She was out of custody by Wednesday afternoon. An Austin phone number could not be found.
Johnston painted the mural in 1993 on the exterior wall of what was then a record store. The image was printed on a T-shirt, which Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain once wore.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.