Pair of former Wildcats honored by ESPN writer
Things got off to an excellent start in the system's first year, as the Wildcats went 12-1 and earned a Holiday Bowl win over Nebraska. They finished fourth in the final AP Poll.
Unfortunately for the Wildcats, the most games they've won in a single season since is eight, which they've done just four times.
At any rate, the 'Cats did have some talented players during the last 16 years, and ESPN.com's Ted Miller honored cornerbacks Chris McAlister and Antoine Cason as part of his "Pac-12 all-BCS-era team."
They were the only two Wildcats on the list.
McAlister, played just one BCS era season, but was a First-Team All-Pac-10 selection in 1996, 1997 and 1998. He was also a unanimous All-American in '98 before heading to the NFL as a first-round draft pick.
In three seasons with the Wildcats, McAlister intercepted 15 passes.
Cason played for the Wildcats from 2004 to 2007. He was the Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in 2004 and earned Second-Team All Pac-10 honors in 2005. A semi-finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award in '05, Cason returned in 2006 and won the award, which is given annually to the nation's top defensive back. He was also a consensus First-Team All-Amercan that year.
Cason finished college with 253 tackles and 15 interceptions.
Like McAlister, Cason also became a first-round draft pick.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.