Pair of former Wildcats honored by ESPN writer
Things got off to an excellent start in the system's first year, as the Wildcats went 12-1 and earned a Holiday Bowl win over Nebraska. They finished fourth in the final AP Poll.
Unfortunately for the Wildcats, the most games they've won in a single season since is eight, which they've done just four times.
At any rate, the 'Cats did have some talented players during the last 16 years, and ESPN.com's Ted Miller honored cornerbacks Chris McAlister and Antoine Cason as part of his "Pac-12 all-BCS-era team."
They were the only two Wildcats on the list.
McAlister, played just one BCS era season, but was a First-Team All-Pac-10 selection in 1996, 1997 and 1998. He was also a unanimous All-American in '98 before heading to the NFL as a first-round draft pick.
In three seasons with the Wildcats, McAlister intercepted 15 passes.
Cason played for the Wildcats from 2004 to 2007. He was the Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in 2004 and earned Second-Team All Pac-10 honors in 2005. A semi-finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award in '05, Cason returned in 2006 and won the award, which is given annually to the nation's top defensive back. He was also a consensus First-Team All-Amercan that year.
Cason finished college with 253 tackles and 15 interceptions.
Like McAlister, Cason also became a first-round draft pick.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- 2014 UA Hall of Fame inductee Dick Tomey: Rich Rodriguez 'the right man at the right time' for Wildcats
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- AD Greg Byrne: Arizona Wildcats will schedule tougher non-conference foes in future
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.