Proposed NCAA rule change has coaches pretty upset
Here in the state of Arizona, both ASU (Todd Graham) and Arizona (Rich Rodriguez) look to snap the ball while taking little time off the play clock.
However, a proposed rule would lead to a penalty on the offense if the ball is snapped with more than 29 seconds remaining, supposedly in an effort to promote better football and player safety.
Needless to say, some coaches are not too pleased with the idea. More on the proposed rule change can be found here.
So I hear the football rules committee wants to slow the game down and make you wait ten seconds to snap--and penalty is delay of game!#wow— Rich Rodriguez (@CoachRodAZ) February 12, 2014
When you snap the ball has always been a fundamental edge for the offense- what's next-- 3 downs like Canada?#LetsGetBoring— Rich Rodriguez (@CoachRodAZ) February 12, 2014
Fundamental advantage for defense- pre snap movement- maybe that should be reviewed? #WhoMakesTheseRules— Rich Rodriguez (@CoachRodAZ) February 12, 2014
Mike Leach on NCAA not allowing teams to snap before 29 seconds on play clock: "First off, doubt it will pass. Second, it's ridiculous….— ESPN Pac-12 (@ESPN_Pac12blog) February 12, 2014
Leach (cont.): All this tinkering is ridiculous. I think it deteriorates the game. It's always been a game of creativity and strategy….— ESPN Pac-12 (@ESPN_Pac12blog) February 12, 2014
Leach: "So anytime someone doesn't want to go back to drawing board or re-work their solutions to problems, they beg for a rule."— ESPN Pac-12 (@ESPN_Pac12blog) February 12, 2014
Rich Rod on 29 second rule tied to safety: "Where's all the data that proves this is a player safety issue? I don't buy it."— ESPN Pac-12 (@ESPN_Pac12blog) February 12, 2014
Rich Rod: "It's ridiculous. And what's most ridiculous is did you see what penalty is going to be called? Delay of game!"— ESPN Pac-12 (@ESPN_Pac12blog) February 12, 2014
One coach I texted about the proposed 10-second rule replied: "Is that real? I thought it was a joke. No way that passes."— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) February 12, 2014
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.