Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
The originally scheduled season-opener vs. UNLV will be moved a day ahead from the initial Saturday kickoff and will be played on Fri., Aug. 29 at Arizona Stadium.
Not only do the schedule changes affect the season opener, but the second game of the season will also be moved to an earlier date of Thurs., Sept. 4 when the Wildcats play UTSA in the Alamo Dome.
"I think these are exciting schedule changes for our fans with national audiences able to watch us play," Arizona Athletics Director Greg Byrne said. "We had a good crowd for the 2013 season opener on a Friday night and we expect a similar result in 2014. There's a lot of excitement surrounding our football program right now and these games add to that."
Arizona defeated UNLV and UTSA in back-to-back games last season by scores of 58-13 and 38-13, respectively.
With the schedule changes, Arizona is slated to play four weekday games this upcoming season, including a Thursday game at Oregon (Oct. 2) and a Friday game vs. ASU (Nov. 28).
"We're excited to add two weekday games to our schedule," head coach Rich Rodriguez said. "Being so early in the college football season, there will be a lot of excitement surrounding these games."
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.