Keala King gives 'statement' on twitter
King, along with fellow sophomore Kyle Cain and junior Chris Colvin, was suspended for last weekend's trip to Los Angeles for "unacceptable conduct".
Following the trip, Sendek made the decision to dismiss King from the team, despite ASU's 5-10 record and lack of depth at the point guard position, where King had been starting, admittedly out of position.
On Thursday, as his former teammates prepare for their Pac- 12 home opener against Oregon, King has finally issued a statement, sort of.
King tweeted Thursday morning, the first we've heard from the sophomore.
At his weekly press conference Wednesday, Sendek talked at length about the decision to boot King off the team.
I just think that it's important, regardless of circumstances, that we maintain certain standards and expectations. We spent a lot of time together and in the final analysis it just seemed to me that it made great sense for our program and for Keala, that he have a new beginning. That's never an easy decision when you're wrestling with a young man's future. That's an agonizing process. But being as close to the situation as I was, on a daily basis it became fairly clear to me that it would benefit our program and, just as important, that it would benefit Keala to have a new beginning. Standards and expectations are important for us and they're also important for him.
King had been averaging 13.7 points and 3.3 assists per game this season after averaging only 3.7 points per contest as a freshman last season.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.