Former Sun Devil Harden added to Team USA roster
The former Arizona State Star, current member of the Oklahoma City Thunder and future NBA Sixth Man of the Year award winner is already in the midst of his best season as a pro, and now may get his first crack at basketball on an international stage.
USA Basketball announced Thursday that Harden, as well as Kentucky center Anthony Davis, have been added to the list of finalists for the 2012 USA Basketball National Team.
"After a lot of deliberations, after reviewing our roster, we think these two additions strengthen our National Team program immeasurably," chairman Jerry Colangelo said. "James Harden probably is the sixth man of the year in the NBA, and Anthony Davis brings a dimension to our pool we don't have."
Harden has per-game averages of 16.8 points, 4.1 rebounds, 3.7 assists and one epic beard for the Thunder this season, showing the well-rounded game that helped him lead Arizona State to the NCAA Tournament in 2009 before being selected by Oklahoma City with the third pick in the NBA Draft.
"Being named as a finalist for the USA Basketball National Team is an unbelievable feeling and an opportunity that is truly humbling," Harden said in a press release. "It is an honor to be included with such talented players and I look forward to the chance to represent my country this summer."
The official U.S. Olympic team roster, which will compete in the summer games in London, will be announced later this year.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 23Patterson talks to Doug and Wolf about ASU football games potentially being played at Chase field du