Updated May 5, 2012 - 3:43 pm
Lockett announces transfer to Marquette
Arizona State's Trent Lockett has announced he will transfer to Marquette for his senior season to be closer to his mother, who lives in Minnesota and has been diagnosed with cancer.
Lockett thanked everyone involved in his career at the school through a tweet earlier in the day and said the transfer was the hardest decision he's ever had to make.
I've been a sundevil since 16. I love and appreciate the people and experience at ASU. Saying that, I am excited to finish my last yr at MU!— Trent Lockett (@T_Lockett24) May 5, 2012
"Words can't express my gratitude to the program and all it has given me," Lockett said in a statement released by the team. "I am now a proud graduate of ASU."
Lockett, the team's leading scorer last season, has already earned a bachelor's degree in business communication from Arizona State.
He said that while his decision is based on his mother's health, he also wanted to make a good basketball decision and Marquette is a great place to end his career.
He was granted a release from his scholarship at Arizona State enabling him to look into transferring closer to home. It was rumored that he had also talked to Iowa State and Gonzaga.
ASU Coach Herb Sendek said he is proud of Lockett for all of his accomplishments, and knows he will always be a Sun Devil at heart.
"We are glad he has found a good place to complete his college career close to home so he can provide support to his mom Judy and know the Sun Devil nation will continue to follow his career," Sendek said.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.